The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. Symptoms range from mild to serious and include fever, cough and difficulty breathing. There are simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses. These include:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Carry and use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then dispose of tissue immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- If you are experiencing a fever, cough and/or difficulty breathing, contact a healthcare professional to determine whether testing or treatment is needed.
More details on preventing coronavirus disease are available at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.