Career exploration and preparation continues to be one of the most prominent goals of higher education. While it may seem a large part of the CFK journey is spent within the classroom, being a student goes far beyond that. Applying new knowledge and skills to other aspects of one's life, such as a career, outside of the classroom is another significant component of being a student. Whether it's discovering, planning, or taking action towards a career, consider how you can develop the following.
- Career and Job Search: What areas of employment are you searching for? What are effective ways to find these opportunities?
- Resume and Cover Letter: Do you have a resume and cover letter? What are effective strategies for creating a resume and cover letter?
- Interviewing Skills: What does a successful interview look like? What are good practices when preparing for an interview?
- Online Profiles: Are online profiles, such as LinkedIn and Handshake, important to your career interest?
- Networking: Who can help make the career and job search successful?
Appointments with Career Services can be made through Handshake here cfk.joinhandshake.com
The College of the Florida Keys recently transitioned to Handshake – a modern recruiting platform – to connect current and past CFK students with employment and internship opportunities. Handshake is a direct partnership with The College of the Florida Keys that offers CFK students and alumni access to jobs on a local, regional, and nation scale as well as the ability to view personalized job recommendations based on major and interests.
The annual CFK Job Fair is typically held in the Spring semester (March-April). Our event this year will be held on April 12, 12 PM - 3 PM in the Tennessee Williams Theatre. Please sign up as an employer or student.
Internships are a powerful and effective way for students to gain real-world work experience. The College's Internship Program provides experiential learning as a complementary approach to a student's education. With a goal of preparing students, the College's internship program is focused on providing quality industry internship opportunities that allow students to spend time within a real-world job experience prior to graduation.