The College has developed a comprehensive transition and postsecondary program (CTP) for students with intellectual disabilities (ID), learning disabilities (LD) and autism entitled Project ACCESS (Accessing Community College Educational experiences, Social experiences, and Skills for careers).
Project ACCESS will prepare students with the noted disabilities, over a 1 to 3-year period, to complete an individualized, vocational and technical-based curriculum that results in Certificate of Completion and an industry certification in Customer Service and Sales through the National Retail Federation. This program is designed to meet the growing need to provide postsecondary educational opportunities to students with these disabilities and also prepare them for gainful employment in the community.
Project ACCESS will provide on-campus transition services that include individualized, person-centered, post-secondary opportunities to eligible students. The mission of Project ACCESS is to support students who are seeking to continue academic, career and technical, and independent living instruction at an institution of higher education in order to prepare them for gainful employment. Project ACCESS will accomplish this mission through comprehensive and structured curricula that include academics, social activities, employment experience and independent living skills that are instrumental for the students’ selected field of study.
Project ACCESS is a limited access program with an additional application process for admission based on selective criteria. Potential candidates must successfully meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a documented intellectual disability, and provide certified test results.
- Provide documentation of your most recent high school individualized education plan (IEP)
- Provide documentation of recent psychological evaluation (no more than 3 years old)
- Submit a video (five minutes or less) describing your desire to be a student in the Project ACCESS program
- Visit the College campus for a tour and in-person interview.
- Provide 3 letters of personal recommendation.
Applications for Project Access are available online through the College website.